Historical Site Luzein

Sprecherhaus Luzein

Garten Sprecherhaus Luzein
Sprecherhaus in Luzein

Show all 3 images

Hof des Sprecherhauses in Luzein

Classified as a monument of national importance and listed as a listed speaker's house, it was carefully restored from 2007 to 2012 with the participation of the preservation of historical monuments. The baroque manor house is largely in its original condition.


At the end of the 16th century, a branch of the Sprecher von Bernegg family, which was ennobled by King Henry III of France in 1582, settled in Luzein and built several stately houses, which still characterize the villagescape today. One of these houses is the "Sprecherhaus", built around 1680 by Federal State Mayor Florian Sprecher von Bernegg, above the former Landsgemeindeplatz of the Castels court. Until 2007, the speaker's house was continuously inhabited by members of this family. The manor house includes the stable built in 1651 and the farm in front of it, which is bordered on the mountain side by an outbuilding. A mighty lime tree overshadows this charming ensemble. On the east side of the house is the baroque rose garden laid out on three terraces. The entire property, which is considered a monument of national importance, was carefully restored between 2007 and 2012, so that the house, especially its interior, still presents itself almost unchanged in its baroque appearance.

For people and groups interested in cultural history, it is possible to visit the courtyard, garden and part of the house by appointment, guided by the owner. Following the tour, an aperitif can be served on request, in the courtyard under the mighty lime tree or in the rose garden. All visits and guided tours are only possible in dry weather. Dogs not welcome. (Text Jürg Stoffel)

The house

The building dates back mainly to the time around 1680, while a thorough reconstruction in 1708 was limited to the interior. The two halls arranged on the mountain side date from this construction phase; the lower one as «Salaterrena» with monastery vault; the upper one as a ballroom with coffered wooden ceiling whose center is decorated with a stately family coat of arms with allegories. The numerous vaulted rooms and corridors, the high-quality wood-panelled parlours and rooms, of which the so-called "balcony room" stands out with its rich decorations, give the house its stately character.

The garden

The baroque garden attached to the house on the east side was created around 1680 and comprises three terraces, which are connected by symmetrically arranged stairs. The plant consists of various varieties of «English scented roses» (approx. 450 sticks) in beds and borders bordered by boxwood.

Guided Tours / Visits

Costs CHF 12.00 per person
Participants: minimum 5 people, maximum 10 people
Dates: 15 May - 30 September 2023
Duration approx. 1 hour
Enquiries and registrations
Jürg Stoffel
Sprecherhaus, Luzeinerstrasse 52, 7242 Luzein
Phone +41 79 695 92 12


Public Transport

With the Rhaetian Railway RhB to Schiers or Küblis and with the Postbus Luzein. Stop at the Sprecherhaus.


On the A13 and A28 to Küblis, then left in the city through the underpass towards Luzein, parking at the town hall or church Luzein


Sprecherhaus Luzein

Luzeinerstrasse 52, 7242 Luzein

Responsible for this content Prättigau Marketing.
This content has been translated automatically.

Outdooractive Logo

This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.